Amazon announces general availability of EC2 M7i-flex and M7i instances powered by Intel 4th Gen Xeon processors.
Aug 2, 2023 – AWS announced the general availability of Amazon EC2 M7i-flex and EC2 M7i instances powered by custom 4th Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors (code-named Sapphire Rapids). AWS announces the general availability of Amazon EC2 M7i-flex and EC2 M7i instances powered by custom 4th Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors (code-named Sapphire Rapids).
This launch is the latest on a growing list of 4th Gen Xeon-powered instances that deliver leading total cost of ownership (TCO) and the most built-in accelerators of any CPU to fuel key workloads like AI, database, networking and enterprise applications.
“Intel worked closely with AWS to bring our feature-rich 4th Gen Xeon processors to its cloud customers, many of which have benefited from its performance and value for months in private and public preview. Today, we’re happy to bring that same real-world value to cloud customers around the globe.”Lisa Spelman, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of the Xeon Products and Solutions Group
These new Amazon EC2 instances – Amazon EC2 M7i-flex and M7i – bring 4th Gen Xeon’s accelerator engines to the masses via AWS’s expansive global footprint. Built-in accelerators like Intel® Advanced Matrix Extensions (Intel® AMX) offer a much-needed alternative in the market for customers with growing AI workload demand. 4th Gen Xeon with AMX can also meet inference performance metrics for large language models (LLMs) below 20 billion parameters, making LLMs both cost-effective and sustainable to run on general-purpose infrastructure.
More broadly, Intel and AWS offer customers a series of product options to best match their workload, performance and pricing needs, along with the ease and flexibility to address future digital infrastructure demands.
M7i-flex and M7i instances are available in the following AWS Regions: US East (Ohio), US East (N. Virginia), US West (Oregon) and Europe (Ireland).
The M7i-flex instances offer:
- The easiest way for customers to get price-performance benefits for a majority of general-purpose workloads.
- Designs to seamlessly run general-purpose workloads, including web and application servers, virtual desktops, batch processing, microservices, databases and enterprise applications.
- Up to 19%1 better price performance compared with M6i instances.
The M7i instances offer:
- Price performance benefits for key workloads, such as large application servers and databases, gaming servers, CPU-based machine learning and video streaming.
- Larger instance sizes (up to 192 vCPUs and 768 GiB memory).
- New built-in accelerators that enable efficient offload and acceleration of data operations that help in optimizing performance for databases, encryption and compression, and queue management workloads.
- Up to 15%1 better price performance compared with M6i instances
M7i-flex and M7i instances are available in the following AWS Regions: US East (Ohio), US East (N. Virginia), US West (Oregon), and Europe (Ireland).