AMD announced its most powerful workstation graphics card the AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series.
- AMD Unveils the Most Powerful AMD Radeon PRO Graphics Cards, Offering Unique Features and Leadership Performance to Tackle Heavy to Extreme Professional Workloads
- The AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series are the first professional graphics cards built on the advanced AMD chiplet design, and the first to offer DisplayPort 2.1, providing 3X the maximum total data rate compared to DisplayPort 1.4
- Flagship AMD Radeon PRO W7900 graphics card delivers 1.5X faster geomean performance and provides 1.5X more memory than the previous generation
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – AMD last week (April 13, 2023) announced the AMD Radeon™ PRO W7000 Series graphics, its most-powerful workstation graphics cards to date. The AMD Radeon™ PRO W7900 and AMD Radeon™ PRO W7800 graphics cards are built on groundbreaking AMD RDNA™ 3 architecture, delivering significantly higher performance than the previous generation and exceptional performance per dollar compared to the competitive offering. The new graphics cards are designed for professionals to create and work with high-polygon count models seamlessly, deliver incredible image fidelity and color accuracy, and run graphics and compute-based applications concurrently without disruption to workflows.
AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series graphics cards feature the world’s first workstation GPU architecture based on AMD’s advanced chiplet design, providing real-world multi-tasking performance and incredible power efficiency. The new graphics cards are also the first professional workstation GPUs to offer the new AMD Radiance Display Engine™ featuring DisplayPort™ 2.1 which delivers a superior visual experience, higher resolutions, and more available colors than ever before.
The AMD Radeon PRO W7900 graphics card, designed for extreme workloads, features 61 TFLOPS (FP32) peak single precision performance, offering 1.5X higher geomean performance on the SPECviewperf 2020 benchmark. It also includes 48GB of GDDR6 memory, which is 1.5X larger in memory capacity than the 32GB available on the previous-generation graphics card. Created for heavy workloads, the AMD Radeon PRO W7800 graphics card features 45 TFLOPS (FP32) peak single precision performance and 32GB of GDDR6 memory.
“The new AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series are the most powerful graphics cards AMD has built to date, providing professionals, creators, and artists with exceptional performance and value to drive the most demanding professional design and creative applications,” said Scott Herkelman, senior vice president and general manager, Graphics Business Unit at AMD. “The AMD Radeon PRO W7900 and W7800 Series graphics cards are built to deliver incredible performance and reliability in professional applications while providing color-critical accuracy and an incredible visual experience. The AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series graphics cards give professionals the ability to tackle larger projects, render faster and create more complex models loaded with more pixels, more polygons, and more textures.”
AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series workstation graphics cards are designed to help professionals meet high-pressure deadlines under increasingly tight budgets while delivering world-class results. Key features include:
- AMD RDNA 3 Architecture – New compute units share resources between rendering, AI, and raytracing to make the most effective use of each transistor, offering approximately 50% more raytracing performance per compute unit than the previous generation3. AMD RDNA 3 architecture also features optimizations for AEC, D&M, and M&E workflows for rendering, video editing, and multitasking.
- Advanced Chiplet Design – The world’s first workstation GPUs with a chiplet design provides higher performance and greater efficiency than the previous generation. It includes the new 5nm Graphics Compute Die (GCD) that provides the core GPU functionality. It also includes six new 6nm Memory Cache Die (MCD), each with second-generation AMD Infinity Cache™ technology.
- Dedicated AI Acceleration and Second-Generation Raytracing – New AI instructions and increased AI throughput deliver over 2X more performance than the previous AMD RDNA 2 architecture4, while second-generation raytracing technology delivers significantly higher performance than the previous generation5.
- Up To 48 GDDR6 Memory – Allows professionals and creators to work with the largest 3D models and environments, edit and layer complex timelines using the latest digital cinema camera formats and render photorealistic, raytraced images with unparalleled quality. Professional applications that can take advantage of the larger framebuffer include Adobe Premiere® Pro & After Effects®, Autodesk 3ds Max® & Maya®, Blender®, Boris FX® Sapphire™, Dassault Systèmes® SOLIDWORKS® Visualize, DaVinci® Resolve, Lumion™, Maxon® Redshift™, and many more.
- AMD Radiance Display Engine with DisplayPort 2.1 – Supports the highest resolutions and over 68 billion colors, and offers support for higher refresh rate displays compared to AMD RDNA 2 architecture and current competitive offerings. Display outputs support next-generation displays and multi-monitor configuration options, creating an ultra-immersive visual environment.
- AV1 Encode/Decode – Dual encode/decode media engines unlock new multi-media experiences with full AV1 encode/decode support designed for high resolutions, wide color gamut, and high-dynamic range enhancements6.
- Exceptional Workstation Performance – The AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series graphics cards complement the AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO processors by providing the horsepower necessary to handle demanding creative, production, and visualization workloads quickly and efficiently. AMD Radeon PRO Series workstation graphics and Ryzen Threadripper PRO processors provide exceptional performance, reliability, and stability to power mission-critical professional applications.
- Optimized Driver Performance – All AMD Radeon PRO workstation graphics are supported by AMD Software: PRO Edition, which provides a modern and intuitive user interface. Radeon PRO Image Boost renders visuals higher than a display’s native resolution to optimize image quality and resolution, while Radeon PRO Viewport Boost dynamically adjusts viewport resolution, boosting framerates and navigation performance in select applications
(Peak Single Precision)
|Memory Bandwidth||Memory Interface||Display Outputs|
(up to 80 Gbit/s
max total bandwidth)
|AMD Radeon PRO W7900||Extreme||96||61 (FP32)||48GB||up to 864 GB/s||384-bit||3X DisplayPort™ 2.1|
1 mini-DisplayPort™ 2.1
|AMD Radeon PRO W7800||Heavy||70||45 (FP32)||32GB||up to 576 GB/s||256-bit||3X DisplayPort™ 2.1|
1 Mini-DisplayPort™ 2.1
Pricing and Availability
The AMD Radeon PRO W7900 is priced at $3,999 USD. The AMD Radeon PRO W7800 is priced at $2,499 USD. The AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series workstation graphics cards are expected to be available from leading etailers/retailers starting in Q2, 2023. Product availability in OEM and SI systems is expected in 2H 2023.
The AMD Radeon PRO W7000 Series workstation graphics cards will be on display from April 16 to 19 in booth #N2158 (North Hall) at The NAB Show 2023, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada.