YouTubers, Wedding, Indie, and Documentary Filmmakers, Drone Operators, and Multimedia Journalists are just a few of the types of content creators who will benefit from Canon EOS R5 C.
MELVILLE, NY, January 19, 2022 – Imagine being able to have the finest of both worlds at your disposal. In one compact and lightweight package, a Canon camera with equal parts video and still digital imaging power. Canon U.S.A., Inc., a global pioneer in digital imaging solutions, is proud to introduce the EOS R5 C Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera, a hybrid, RF-mount 8K camera with something for everyone. The new camera incorporates video formats and features from the company’s award-winning Cinema EOS range, as well as certain still capabilities that have made the EOS R5 camera a popular and trusted choice among imaging pros and enthusiasts alike.
“Imaging professionals are living in a multimedia world. Gone are the days of only needing to be sufficiently equipped and skilled at video or stills,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Canon U.S.A.’s Imaging Technologies & Communications Group. “The EOS R5 C squarely takes aim at providing end-users with a solution that can tackle all facets of the ever-demanding multimedia and content production landscape. Canon is confident this all-in-one solution can help improve the workflow for a variety of content creators.”
Thanks to an active cooling mechanism, the EOS R5 C camera can capture nonstop, uninterrupted 8K/60Pii video. With four times the resolution of 4K video, 8K video provides remarkable definition and realism, providing unparalleled powers in video expression and extremely flexible workflows, such as 4K cropping from 8K footage.
The EOS R5 C camera can record High Frame Rate (HFR) video up to 120P at 4K resolution in 4:2:2 10-bit without cropping the sensor, making it an excellent choice for shooting fast-paced action sequences or when using a gimbal or drone. Even when shooting in high-speed mode, Canon’s famed Dual Pixel CMOS AF is operational. The EOS R5 C camera can record audio during HFR shooting, unlike certain cameras that do not. As a separate file from the video, WAV audio can be used to virtually eliminate the need for separate audio recordings
The Canon EOS R5 C is the first camera that can record 8K (8192×4320) 60P Cinema RAW Light internally. Other Canon Cinema EOS cameras, such as the EOS C300 Mark III and EOS C500 Mark II, use the Cinema RAW Light format, which is popular and valued. This capability captures the sensor’s complete dynamic range and produces video data with a cinematic look that is designed for advanced grading and HDR while being smaller than Cinema RAW. RAW HQ (high quality), RAW ST (standard quality), and RAW LT (low quality) are the three new modes in Cinema RAW Light (light recording). All three modes are 12-bit regardless of frame rate. The EOS R5 C can also record 8K video in MP4 format, ideal for quicker delivery.
For ProRes RAW recording with a compatible external recorder, the EOS R5 C offers RAW output via HDMI. Users can shoot in Apple ProRes RAW at up to 8K/30P when using the EOS R5 C with a compatible external recorder. In-camera proxy data can also be recorded to an SD card, allowing for more efficient post-production activities.
Powerful Still Imaging Performance
The EOS R5 C transforms into a familiar force to be reckoned with as a still photography camera with the flip of a switch. Canon’s 45-megapixel high-resolution, high-speed full-frame CMOS sensor is at the heart of the camera, and it is teamed with the equally outstanding DIGIC X image processor, which offers an ISO range of 100-51200, extendable to 102400iv. The EOS R5 C has Dual Pixel CMOS AF II and high-speed continuous shooting of up to 12 frames per second (fps) in mechanical shutter mode and up to 20 fps in quiet electronic shutter mode, giving it pinpoint focus and lightning-fast speed.
This allows users to monitor and photograph even the most elusive subjects’ split-second movements. It is easier than ever to picture individuals using Eye, Face, and Head Detection AF, or intuitively follow the complete body, face, or eye of cats, dogs, or birds with Animal Detection AFv with the EOS iTR AF X and 1,053 Automatic AF zones. For those who crave speed, the camera features vehicle subject detection, which allows users to correctly monitor vehicles and motorcycles, especially in race-like situations. For the transfer of still photographs, connectivity such as 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi®vi and Bluetooth®vii is included.
Additional Features of the Canon EOS R5 C Camera Include:
- Supports 8K HDR recording in Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) and Perceptual Quantization (PQ) formats
- 4K and 2K oversampling with high-definition debayer algorithm that processes RGB data of the 8K sensor with less incidence of moiré, false colors, and noise
- XF-AVC codecs offer robust 10-bit 4:2:2 files in a .MXF wrapper for simple compatibility with non-linear editing systems (NLEs) and existing workflows
- Canon Log 3, which is found in many Canon cinema products, is available for a wider range of grading after shooting
- Coordinated image stabilization (with Canon lenses equipped with optical IS) helps to correct hand-shake and better anti-vibration performance than electronic IS alone
- Timecode terminal allowing for multi-camera shooting
- Canon’s next-generation Multi-Function Shoe is compatible with a variety of accessories, such as an optional TASCAM CA-XLR2d-C XLR microphone adapter (sold separately) for up to 4-channel digital audio
- RF mount provides access to the expanding lineup of Canon RF lenses, as well as the full lineup of EF lenses (adapter required)
- Compatible with Canon’s new RF 5.2mm 2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens allowing for stereoscopic 180° VR video capture
- 13 marked, assignable buttons allow for user-friendly customized operation
- Compact-and-lightweight at 1.7 lbs. (body only)
- 3.2-inch variable-angle LCD monitor and high-definition 5.76 million-dot viewfinder
- Dual card slots: one CFexpress and one SD UHS-II
- USB Video Class (UVC) connectivity, enabling out of the box use as a streaming video camera
- A new DC Coupler DR-E6C helps to provide the continuous power needed for the demands of shooting in Cinema RAW Light at high framerates
Pricing and Availability
The Canon EOS R5 C Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera is scheduled to be available in March 2022 for an estimated retail price of $4499.00.* For more information please visit, usa.canon.com.