Cloudflare Announces D1: The First Integrated Database for the Workers Serverless Platform.
Plans to bring instant database to its global network to make building any type of application possible with Cloudflare Workers Serverless Platform.
SAN FRANCISCO – Cloudflare, Inc. (NYSE: NET), the security, performance, and reliability company helping to build a better Internet, today announced Cloudflare D1, a simple and instant serverless database. Cloudflare D1 will enable developers to start building database-backed applications using Cloudflare Workers with just a few clicks. Data will be stored close to where their users are, providing lightning-fast performance without any of the complexities of installing or managing a traditional database.
Everything from the apps on your phone to SaaS applications for the enterprise to frameworks like Ruby on Rails use databases for storage. And SQL is the dominant language used to query and update those databases, large and small. Cloudflare’s D1 will offer instant access to one of the most widely deployed database technologies in the world, SQLite, directly from Cloudflare Workers. By combining Cloudflare’s serverless development platform with instant databases, developers can build rich, database-backed applications without ever worrying about deploying or managing a database.
“The hardest part about serverless isn’t actually the code, it’s the storage. Today we’re announcing our first serverless database which we expect will quickly become one of the largest databases in the world,” said Matthew Prince, co-founder and CEO of Cloudflare. “Cloudflare D1 is built on Cloudflare’s global network, which we believe will allow us to offer one of the largest and most performant serverless databases on the market so no business needs to be bogged down by the cost and complexity of managing their storage.”
Unlike other databases on the market, Cloudflare D1 will use Cloudflare’s global network to optimize a business’s database by locating it as close as possible to its customers, providing the fastest possible experience to users. Additionally, by pairing storage solutions with Cloudflare’s serverless compute platform, Cloudflare is streamlining the developer experience for building full-stack applications. Cloudflare D1 will be compatible with the SQLite API—one of the most popular and broadly used API’s in the world. With Cloudflare D1 developers will be able to:
- Intelligently locate data wherever your users are: With Cloudflare D1 there is no need to pick a region. Instead, Cloudflare will automatically store your database wherever your users are, resulting in lightning-fast performance.
- Easily spin up a database with Cloudflare Workers: No need to figure out complex databases, just create a Cloudflare Worker and spin up a database in a few clicks.
- Import data from other providers to Cloudflare: With Cloudflare D1, developers will be able to seamlessly move data from other database providers.
- Unlock the power and scale of Cloudflare Workers within their applications: Cloudflare D1 is fully integrated with Cloudflare Workers, making building full-stack applications incredibly easy.
- Slash their data transfer fees: Cloudflare’s goal is to make Cloudflare D1 the least expensive option for a simple and secure database for developers. That’s why Cloudflare will not charge data transfer fees, allowing developers to easily move data between services.